I haven’t been able to dedicate as much time as I’d like to working on the game, but recently I’ve focused on developing a modeling and texturing workflow for creating spaceships. Using Maya LT for modeling and Substance Painter for texturing, I’ve started to become comfortable with both tools and have figured out an aesthetic that I’d like for the game’s spaceships to have. Since I’m just starting out as an artist as well, I don’t have the chops to develop a crazy unique art style, and have opted instead for a realistic and somewhat gritty feel, as this is what I personally prefer anyway. This is was always my goal for the game’s feel in terms of visuals, audio, and storytelling, although I did try a couple of different styles that didn’t fit with the feel of the game.
The featured pic above is a render in Substance Painter using Iray. Below you can view the 3d model of essentially the second model I’ve ever created and textured, and I’m quite happy with the result, although I do see many areas which need to be improved:
I have a new appreciation for just how much time is required to complete an art asset for a game. My hats off to all game artists everywhere.
Next up on the massive to-do list is to settle on an environment art style, then model the various turrets so I can really nail down the movement and firing aspects of the game. I’m also itching to dig into some particle effects!